FacebookTwitter

Community History

 

Mary Finlay Park

10150 – 80 Street

Mary A. Finlay (1884-1970) was superintendent of Beulah Home for unmarried Mothers from 1922 until her retirement in 1964. She was born in Ontario and came to Edmonton in 1909, where she helped start the Beulah Mission. From 1914 to 1922 Finlay took a leave of absence but continued her evangelistic work. In 1962 the Junior Chamber of Commerce named her Citizen of the Year; in 1963 a scholarship for advanced study in Social Welfare and related fields was established in her name. Mary Finlay park is located in the Forest Heights area and is 0.72ha.

Borders and Geographical History

The Forest Terrace Heights communities commence at the corner of 98 Avenue and Fulton ravine. Following the ravine north to the river, west to the river bank (excluding the Riverside Golf Course), south to 98 Avenue, and east to Fulton Ravine. 

Forest Heights follows the winding green curves of the North Saskatchewan River Valley figure prominently. Four bridges provide access to North Edmonton, while area business is concentrated on the roads which bound the vicinity. Built in the 1950s, Forest Heights has grown into a mature and stable community.

Terrace Heights is located on land identified by the first river lot and township surveys of the Edmonton Settlement as part of River Lots 31 and 33 and a quarter section of land held by D. McLeod. McLeod was a Hudson Bay Company employee, turned sawmill operator, who, in 1883, pioneered regular weekly stagecoach travel between Edmonton and Calgary. In effect, the Terrace Heights neighbourhood is two quiet single-unit residential areas separated by a high density residential and commercial corridor along 101 Avenue.

   

membership

events

hallrentals

Low/No Cost Activities